Follow LSS and our programs on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the most up to date information related to our programs, services and critical needs!
We are committed to continuing to serve our neighbors in need – no matter what challenges we face. We are proud of the way our organization has come together to keep people safe and still provide critical services to those who rely on our LSS Network of Hope for food, shelter and safety.
Circumstances continue to evolve, but here are some current measures our programs are taking to safely provide assistance.
LSS Faith Mission
- The Community Kitchen at Faith Mission is temporarily closed to the public. Shelter residents are now receiving all meals in the dorms.
- The Health Center at Faith Mission is currently offering in-person appointments as well as telemedicine; no walk-ins.
- The Resource Center at Faith Mission is temporarily closed to the public; however, it remains open to our shelter residents so that they can continue to access resources for employment, housing and other critical services.
LSS CHOICES for Victims of Domestic Violence
- All community-based programming has been temporarily suspended for new clients.
- The number of people allowed in the shelter’s dining room at one time has been reduced to allow for recommended personal distancing among our residents.
- Because schools are utilizing distance learning, additional programming and activities have been added to better accommodate the children in our shelter. We also hired two part-time child-care staff and an educational assistant to coordinate the logistics of on-site learning.
- Our partners at Columbus Humane relocated all pets in the kennel at CHOICES to their facility to allow their staff to care for them at Columbus Humane.
LSS Food Pantries
- We consolidated our Franklin County food distributions to our Champion Avenue Food Pantry because the Glenwood Community Center was closed by the city. UPDATE: Glenwood reopened July 10.
- To minimize contact among clients, staff and volunteers, food is being prepacked for safe and quick distribution.
- Distributions at Champion have been moved outside with a limited number of people moving through at any given time. We off drive thru distributions at Glenwood and Delaware. In Lancaster, prepacked boxes are delivered to clients’ cars.
- Franklin and Delaware county clients must still make appointments at www.lssfoodpantries.org.
- Each family will receive a standard pre-packed box of shelf stable food. Produce and meat will be available at pickup.
- In order to adhere to our Governor’s and health official’s guidelines and recommendations to help minimize the spread of COVID-19, we have suspended volunteerism at our Faith Mission and CHOICES shelter sites. UPDATE: We are adding back volunteer opportunities.
- We continue to welcome volunteers to the LSS Food Pantries’ Champion site to assist with the critical work of providing needed food to the community. To minimize the risk at the site, we have reduced the number of volunteers, are sanitizing high-touch surfaces regularly and have moved to outdoor distributions. If you are able to volunteer, please click here to view and sign up for available shifts.
LSS Affordable Housing
- The community rooms are closed and activities have been suspended.
- Visitors are no longer allowed to enter the building unless providing an essential service, such as health care.
Health Care Facilities
- No visitors are allowed in the building except in end-of-life situations, per Governor DeWine’s mandate.
- Assisted Living facilities are allowed to have outside visitation for families.
- Residents are receiving meals in their rooms or apartments or in small groups in dining rooms.
How you can help
Obtaining supplies like personal protective equipment (masks, gowns, gloves, etc.) and hand sanitizer is extremely challenging at this time. If you have a resource that may be able to help, please let us know! Hand sanitizer, especially, is critically needed at all of our shelter sites, food pantries, senior healthcare and living facilities, and our Health Center at Faith Mission. You can view other needed items on our wish lists.
We are also bracing for increased expenses as we serve the community and a potential loss in revenue in the months ahead. If you are able to help with a special financial gift, it would help continue our vital services.
Thank you for your support!
Lutheran Social Services of Central Ohio is a United Way agency, a member of Lutheran Services in America and a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Copyright © 2016 Lutheran Social Services. All Rights Reserved.